Greek English
Home Page / What to know / Heroes Monument
Print this page

Heroes Monument

At the entrance of the Community Hall, stands the monument dedicated to Sergeant Antonakis Costa Manoli, Lieutenant Philios Tsigarides and missing Andreas Evripidou.  The community honors the memory of the Lieutenant who lost his life during the Turkish mutiny, of the Sergeant that lost his life during the Turkish invasion and reminds us that there are missing persons since the tragic summer of 1974.

It is a monument that consists of five marble plates. There is a vertical marble plate at the centre, where an anaglyph wreath and the name of the missing person are set. Two of the marble plates are accompanied with the coppery busts of Sergeant Antonakis Costa Manoli and Lieutenant Philios Tsigarides. 

A short biographical sketch of Antonakis Costa Manoli and Philios Tsigarides follows. 

Antonakis Costa Manoli was born in Agios Theodoros in Larnaka in November 1955. His father originated from Limnatis, a village in Limassol and in 1955, just before Antonakis was born, he got married with Eleni. Antonakis had two siblings, Anthoula and George. He went to the Primary School of the community and then to a Private School for four years and to CASA (CHSF). However, he left school to become a farmer just like his father.  

At the beginning of 1973 he was called to serve the National Guard. He was trained in Larnaka and then, he joined the 231st Infantry Battalion as a Sergeant. The Battalion was transferred near the village of Vasilia at the camp of Prophet Elias. Antonakis was then transferred to the “Gate of Prophet Elias’s Camp”, which was set on Mount Pentadaktylos. It must be noted that a while before that, Manoli was responsible for a guard-house located next to “Anemones” restaurant.

During the tragic July of 1974, when the Turkish Invasion took part, Antonakis was at the guard-house of the “Gate of Prophet Elias’s Camp” at the heart of Pentadaktylos. On the third day of the invasion, a rumor around the camp made everyone think that truce was signed. During the afternoon the soldiers saw air force airplanes on the sky over the camp and though it was the Greek air force. However, once the airplanes reached the camp, the soldiers saw the Turkish flags. It was too late. The airplanes bombed them and many soldiers died, others were seriously injured. Antonakis was injured. 

He was transferred to Nicosia Hospital. However, his burns from the bombing were so bad that he only lived for 27 hours after the bombing.
His whole body was deformed. 

He was buried in a group grave in Makedonitissa Cemetery. He was identified with DNA tests in May 2000 and his remains were transferred and buried in Agios Theodoros on the 18th November 2000. 

Philios Tsigarides was born in Morphou on the 20th of June 1925. In 1943 he finished High School and joined the Police.

He got married at the village of Lythrodontas with Anna and had three children, Eutychia, Costas and Marios.

Loyal to his duty and hardworking, he rapidly managed to become an inspector. 

During the 1955-1959 Liberation Struggle against English Domination, he had an important part in the organization of the fight, as he was working a station chief in many areas.

When the Turkish mutiny of 1963 took place, Tsigarides was serving in Larnaka. On the 24th April 1964 he was assigned chief of the platoon responsible for Agios Theodoros in Larnaka. Tsigarides was to protect Greeks from Turkish terrorists. Truce was negotiated after long hours of battles and the interference of the United Nations. Tsigarides was shot and injured while on duty. Troops of the United Nations transferred him to the hospital with a helicopter. The Lieutenant however, was dead. 

Father of our hero Antonakis Costa Manoli
L.Pieri, president of Agios Theodoros Community Council

« March 2020 »


1st Apriliou 43
7730, Agios Theodoros
Tel: 24322010
Fax: 24323111 
E-mail: [email protected]